How to make miniature crotons for your dollhouse from paper and wire

Crotons came next because I wanted some color and I was in Lowes where they had this huge display of all colors of crotons just inside the front door. It was incredible.
 
I found the basic leaf shape on a botanical web site, not a university one for a change (with measurements). I wish I could remember where, but I don't. I am bad about that. It was off of a google images search for plant leaves and was not what I was searching for at the time. Wish I did remember because they had some more good stuff.

I drew it in my graphics program in 12 different sizes and filled in the colors of the leaves. It took ages but it was adult coloring book fun!! It seemed that about 12 leaves per plant would be enough, so that's why I made 12 different sizes, but since then, I have added a few more sizes when I want a bigger plant.
 
Crotons come in many different colors so I made the same basic leaf sets but printed them on several different color backgrounds. You can mix or match the leaf colors as you choose or do them all one color. Crotons come both ways.
 
 
They are one plant that seems to go small to larger as you go down the stem so make sure that you do that. The older the leaf, the bigger it grows, so bigger leaves are at the bottom.

You can play with different colors or keep them all the same or do slight variations. With all the different hybrids that are out there, you can make them any color you want. I still am figuring out exactly what I want to do with these!

After I printed and sealed the leaves, I cut them out. Some crotons have deep borders, others have slight borders, but the colors are always bright. Most inexpensive ones in the stores (think WalMart) lean to the deep reds and yellows, but if you look, you can find them in any color. They are for your house and they can always be a new hybrid if your color does not exist yet! I have a tendency to make mine with more green because I like green.

Next shape the leaves slightly. They are slightly dome shaped, not a lot, but some.

They grow in a spiral pattern attached closely to the stem, making them easy to assemble.  Have a piece of thin wire ready, dip the end in your favorite very tacky glue and shape your smallest leaf around the tip. Spiral down the wire attaching each leaf. You can attach them closer or further apart, however you like. If they will be a dark or crowded spot, they will be taller and the leaves will be more separated. If a bright uncrowded spot, they will be more compact and more colorful.
These two have the same number of leaves, but they are spaced differently. The plants will look different. I have a habit of not making them symmetrical, because in real life, things aren't.

Once the leaves have thoroughly dried, then do the final shaping, but make sure they are completely dry!



Here is what they both look like after the final shaping. The only difference between them is the background color for the plant.

Next find a pot or container that you like and plant it however you feel like. My best sellers have been in brightly colored wooden beads.

 If a plant has been moved from different environments, the same plant can have parts of it both ways, so no matter how you put it together, there could be a story to fit that plant. You really cannot do this one wrong.

Comments