Gathering supplies and setting up workshop to start making stock to sell on Etsy

Finally I was ready to start organized construction! It helps that I started doing miniatures 38 years ago and started selling things 31 years ago. I had the tools that I would need already on hand. Haven't used them lately, but they were here and I have done this in the past.

First you need to set up a dedicated work area. You can't be moving things back and forth all the time or you'll never get anything done. Here is a picture of my area in my workroom. It is somewhat messy, but everything I use often is close by, visible and labelled if needed. Other supplies that I use less often are sorted and filed in drawers or cabinets. All painting supplies are on my drafting table with the painting stuff. I don't like painting and working in the same area. It sure can get messy if you have a problem!
 Yes that is a food cutting mat that I am using to work on. That is because it is orange. Nothing that I will be working with is orange so every color that I use will be clearly visible and measurements are not exact so square so grids are not needed. You probably can see the ruler in the picture though!

I have been making my own pots from Sculpy so I have the toaster oven that I use for them in the woodworking shop. If I get really busy, I can fire up the kiln with regular clay, but I need to make a lot more at one time for that to be worth it.

I got an assortment of different types of papers, paints, glues, wires, clays, foam, bunka, punches, etc. and started experimenting. I use Paint Shop Pro as a graphics program because I've been using it since it first came out but there are a bunch of programs out there. My camera is about 10 years old but has a great closeup and excellent no flash settings so I use the program to bring my pictures to a more modern quality.

I keep all the houseplant books, my organizer, and anything else paper next to the computer on the desk so it is easier to do research. I probably use The Houseplant Expert by Dr D G Hessayon more than any other book. It has pictures and line drawings that show variations between similar species.

Tomorrow I will talk about my favorite ferns!

Comments