How to make dollhouse miniature sanseviera / snake plant / mother in laws tongue for your dollhouse

Sanseviera were next for me to put online.

When I was researching, I found a university web site somewhere that had a beautiful single leaf of a Sanseviera for their students study that had no copyright. They wanted people to use it. I downloaded a copy into my graphic program and adjusted the size and shape into about 8 different lengths and shapes to fill up a page to create a more diverse plant. I wanted some to have a white or yellow edging on the plant and some solid color, so I did another page where all of the leaves were wider, both front and back.

Once I got them where I wanted them, I saved the page then I flipped the page horizontally and slightly adjusted the color on the whole page to be the back of the leaf. I printed them on a slightly heavier paper than I would usually use because this plant is stiffer. Make sure that the front and the back matched up exactly. Next you let them dry for a bit, then coat one side of the paper with some sort of sealer to prevent some types of damage. let it dry, then coat the other side. Let it set for a while until it is thoroughly dry.

 
Next I cut the leaves out with some fine pointed scissors.
 

 
Then, I hand shape the leaves into a more curved natural shape and plant them into pots. The center of the plant needs to be shaped before you plant it. As you get further out you can put in the leaves one by one. I use a needle tool made for working with polymer clay to plant the leaves, but a lot of things would work, including a sharp toothpick if you are careful.
 
The solid color one, I tried to make as an older plant that has several babies growing out from the center. The other two are more specimen plants. I am going to make several other ages, sizes and growth patterns but these are all that I have on hand at the moment. Each one is slightly different. You will find that they each have their own personality when they start to grow. It makes for adding more work in adding them to the Etsy page!
 
 
One advantage of these plants is that I can take them with me to work on when I am waiting in a doctor or dentist office or for any kind of appointment. Here is my setup for this. I've tried taking ferns, but they take more concentration and attention and I end up with more messed up ones.

 
 

African violets are next! The first plant I ever did.


Comments