After Thanksgiving Day - Etsy sales and coupons - figure out your goals for selling on Etsy -post office - know your market

Everyday life has interfered with this blog!

I have one article on plants half written but haven't had time to finish it.

Haven't had any time to work on my plants at all.

I did make a sale though. Finally sold the most looked at item in my shop on Etsy, the white edged mother in laws tongue plant. I think the next ones that I make will be slightly different though. It was bothering me because it was too much like a specimen plant. The next one that I will make will be more like it was living on the back shelf of a greenhouse.

Everything says that you don't sell nearly as much as you want at first because people don't know and don't trust you yet and you are not exactly sure what people want to buy. You have to consider what people want. I hope people like what I am making, because I am sure enjoying the stories that I create about each separate plant. If not, I know I purposefully chose a very limited market. Hopefully enough people will like them.

I just want to sell enough to give me an excuse to play with my plants without people asking me why I am spending so much time on something that isn't needed. Figure out, at least to yourself, why you are here. You don't need to tell anyone else, but you need to know. It will make a big difference to your success. You have to satisfy yourself, not others.

Last week I have finally convinced the man at the post office that what I am making has value, even if a limited market. He does NOT GET miniatures! He just kept shaking his head, but he is keeping track of the states that I send packages to. Between Etsy and the miniatures that I have sold on Ebay, when I hit 7 separate states from California to Washington DC to Wisconsin to Louisiana, he said "There must be something to this!" He can't figure out why I send a package that weighs 1 ounce priority mail though! I tell him it is because of the packaging needed since it is so fragile. He just shakes his head. When I walk in the door now though, he says "Where are we going this time?" then he says hello.

I did not have time to run a Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, or Cyber Monday sale because of family so I decided to experiment with a coupon. It gives free shipping on a $15 or larger order through December 15. That is a really good deal, since I do ship priority mail. I posted it on Google+ and my Facebook page and on the announcement section of the shop page on Etsy. We will see if anyone takes advantage of it.

When I actually had a brick and mortar store, these were the best 2 weeks of the year every year, but that was dollhouses and big ticket items. Small items didn't sell well at all this time of year. That comes in January and February when people want additions to their big gifts. March through May actually were better months for plant sales. Every item had it's own season. So, really I am not sure if it is a good time for this, but at least I can see if anyone uses the coupons and am learning how to use the Etsy program. I figure that I should try everything while I'm new at this, so later on I will know how to use everything on the site.

My sister says I can be too long and start to get boring. I'll close now and try to write again tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day.

Comments