Etsy and Google analytics and statistics and why you should use them

This is something that I am just getting into and I'm not good at it yet. It is something I need to talk about though.

Did you know that you can find all kinds of things about your customers? Not about any particular person, but the averages for the day, week, month and graphs about how things change. You also can do comparison graphs with 2 of the metrics, your choice.
  • Where they live - or at least the city that their local service connects to the main internet. This is not always correct but it is close. Mine always shows up as Altamonte Springs which is 3 hours away, but it is comparatively in the same area when you are talking about the world!
  • What kind of computer they are using
  • What time of day they are accessing your site
  • What pages they look at
  • How long they are online on average
  • How long on average do they look at a page
  • Do they bounce or actually look at it on average
  • Are they a new viewer or a repeat to your site
  • Where did they find you - if a search, what did they search for and what search did they use or did they come directly to your site
  • What keywords did your customers use
  • What listings were most popular
  • What items get favorited the most
  • What you have sold and what hasn't
  • Download all the data of everything active you have listed
  • Download all data of everything you have sold
  • Download all your financial data
These are all free, listed and explained on your shop site and in the sellers handbook so they are easy to get to and use. There are a whole lot more things that I have not had time to look at yet but really should. One day I did a search on YouTube for 'Etsy beginner tutorial' and found a bunch of  videos, more than I could watch, that had all kinds of good information on this topic. I need to go back there because I didn't even scratch the surface.

That doesn't even begin to cover the reports and data and the tons of other stuff that you can pay for if you choose.

If you know something about the people that are interested in your product, you can evaluate yourself better. If you change your site, do your views and sales gradually go up or down?

Right now, on my site, over 1/3 of the people are repeat, and that percentage and the total number of visits per day is gradually growing. that makes me feel good.
On average, they look at 2 pages and spend about 4 minutes a page.
My bounce rate is steadily decreasing every week compared to the total number of sessions.
Right after I spend more time working on my site or adding product, there is a surge in visits.
About 1/2 of my traffic comes internally from Etsy, 1/4 from my Facebook page Tinasminis and the rest from assorted sources.
I need to improve my keywords because they are not good as they should be.
Only about 1/3 of the people look at the shop page so I need to rearrange some things.
A lot of my bounces are from people who are looking for miniature live plants, not dollhouse ones, but some of them come back anyway. Interesting. One of my sales was to someone looking for a real plant and took a liking to one of mine.

This is just some of what I discovered. It is a way to fine tune your marketing. In a brick and mortar store, you see who walks in your door. This is as close as you can come to that for cyber sales and it is something that you need to know.

Comments